Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Belated Pi Day


Sunday was Pi Day! (Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Yes, I am a geek.) So, in honor of Pi:

Make Your Own Pi Music: Choose ten tones to correspond with the integers, then listen as Pi10k creates music out of the first 10,000 numbers of Pi.

Or, if you prefer ready-made Pi, listen to String Quartet Pi, or click play below to hear A Piece of Pi by Steven Rochen.



Finally, here's a fascinating article at ScienceDaily that demonstrates that geometry is enmeshed in the very fabric of music.

2 comments:

Jenny Bay said...

I just discovered your blog and think it's great! I especially enjoyed your article on Life Organization for Piano Teachers - I am a mom and a piano teacher and sometimes as I'm teaching a lesson I'm thinking, "what am I going to make for dinner??"

I will definitely come back and read your blog often.

-Jenny
theteachingstudio.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Jenny, thanks, and I'm glad to have discovered your blog, too. I linked to it here.