Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Fun End of Year Rhythm Activity

It's summer, and that means I have time again for blogging! Sometimes I feel that the school year is like a steady crescendo of activity from mezzo forte in September to fortississississimo by spring. Whew! I'm happy to be back to the peaceful mezzo piano of summer.

A few of my students last week enjoyed a fun rhythm activity that you might enjoy using as well. Are you familiar with The Cup Song? My 10-year-old daughter recently learned this rhythm trick with a cup from friends, and here she is:




She told me that it came from a song in the movie Pitch Perfect, but a little research revealed that the cup rhythm actually originated with Rich Mullins, a Christian artist.



Wherever it came from, it's great fun! So, on our last day of lessons, I had my daughter come in and demonstrate the rhythm (most of my students had heard it before). Then, I surprised them by asking them to notate the rhythm on paper. Depending on the level of the student, I asked them to treat the first two notes as either quarters or eighths. I also asked them to put an accent mark on each note that called for the cup to hit the table. A few of them needed a little help, but it was a great learning activity!




5 comments:

Heidi said...

What a fun idea!

Jennifer said...

We are doing the cup game at camp this year. So excited! I like the idea of notating the rhythm! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for noting the music!!! What fun! I'd like to try that with some of my musical kids!!!

Studio 88 said...

Looks like the Firm fanny lifter (purple step) is good for more than just exercising! LOL :-) I have one too! I taught my kids this cup thing as well last year but didn't think to have them notate! Thanks for the idea.

Laura Lowe said...

Hahaha, Studio 88, that "firm fanny lifter" has been used far more as a stool for piano students' feet than for any exercise!