Friday, December 12, 2014

Christmas Presents for Students

I like to give a small Christmas gift to my piano students each year. Since there are quite a few of them, I need to keep the price low, so crafting something is my usual solution. This year, I gave each student a really cute ornament.

I found clear plastic ornaments at Michaels for half-price, making them $1 each. Several months ago, I picked up an old volume of yellowed music at the Salvation Army store - works of Bach. I admit that I cringed to cut it up, but it was heavily edited. I wouldn't have played from it or given it to a student. It's great for crafting, and I think I only payed about a dollar for it.  I cut strips of sheet music, rolled them up and slipped into the balls. They opened up nicely once inside. I also put some strips of Christmas scrapbook paper inside, and dropped a bit of loose glitter in and shook it around after closing up the ball. A bit of wired ribbon finished it off. Since I already had everything but the ball itself, these were very easy and cheap to make! 

I think I'm going to have to make a few more of these to give to other people as well. I'm very pleased with how they turned out! What do you do for student gifts?

1 comment:

Bev said...

Great idea. I'll look for the plastic ornaments after Christmas (it's too late for this year so my kids are getting candy canes-which we used as drumsticks for TeachPianoToday's book club)